Floating-PV: Transforming unused bodies of water into clean energy generators
Floating photovoltaic plants (Floating-PV) give unused bodies of water a new life. From disused coal quarries and mineral extraction pits, fish ponds to unused reservoirs, Floating-PV offers tremendous potential for contributing to the renewable energy transition across Poland, and the whole of Europe.
The technology used in Floating-PV allows us to generate electricity over a long period of time in a reliable and sustainable way, without interfering with water life forms.
BayWa r.e. is a leader and key player in the floating solar market. Based on experience gained from the development and operation of our 12 floating photovoltaic parks already in service and the development our own certified solution, we are ready to be your partner.
The benefits of Floating-PV
- Defuse land use conflicts
- Enables owners of artificial lakes to make double use of their bodies of water
- Gives unused water surfaces a new purpose
- Reduces water evaporation
- Fast construction
- Efficient maintenance
- PV module performance boosted by water cooling
- Safeguards on-site biodiversity
- Traditional costs of site preparations are substantially reduced
As a full-service provider, we handle everything from project development, planning, procurement, financing, and turnkey construction, right through to the commissioning and operational management.
- Planning and technical consulting
- Reporting and analysis
- Project development
- Procurement from long-term partners
- Turnkey construction
- Direct marketing
- Power purchase agreements (PPAs)
- Operational management
Image Gallery of our Floating-PV systems
Modular solar-boat structure
- Stable, durable and scalable system, utilising long-lasting materials for all components for min. 25 years
- Combination of high quality, multilayer hard plastic (HDPE) floats and steel construction
- Integrated DC cable concept for fixed and protected cabling
- Maintenance paths integrated through the floats
- Inverter boat on the same structural basis
- Cables certified for in-water installation
- Electrical concept VDE-certified
- Static design based on Eurocode
We assume a minimum water surface area of10 ha. Depending on the shape of the lake, this allows us to produce 2-10 MWp.
Do you have a water surface available?
We are interested in artificial and unused bodies of water (e.g. decomissioned brown coal and sand quarries, artificial reservoirs like fish ponds) with a minimum area of approx. 10 ha.